Sunday 6 June 2010

praha/freiburg/strasbourg

I landed in Prague on 5/25 and hiked me and my pack to my hostel, which is covered in graffiti and rocks the party. Met a bunch of interesting people: two talkative Bavarians, a bunch of Texans and a Tennessee-er, a French guy who is making a film about travelers, some Brits and Aussies. Tried all of the requisite beers: Gambrinus, Pilsner Urquell, and Kovel, had some absinthe ice cream (bright green and bitter, only a little disorienting). Walked all around the city, up to the top of Castle Hill for an incredible view:
Wandered the old Jewish quarter, saw a Dali and Mucha exhibit, some Cubist art. The Communism Museum sits on top of a McDonalds (RIOT!). Found a hippie whole foods store with a cheap-eats cafeteria and all kinds of nuts dipped in yogurt. Ran into some music festivals and hare krishna parades.
Next I traveled to Freiburg im Breisgau, which is where my childhood friend Jessy lives and goes to med school. Her studio is in the basement of a crazy lady's house and is a substantial hike up a hill, but offers the most ridiculous view of the town. We ate lots of breads and chocolate-y things. We day-tripped to Strasbourg in France and wandered the cathedral and side streets. Some guy was playing this instrument that looked like a small UFO and sounded like a laser harp.
I got back to San Diego on 6/1 and have been seeing my friends and trying to learn Japanese and work on my poster for the program orientation that I have to go to during the first week of this research trip. A few days ago me and a buddy went to a pastoral poetry reading at this arts collective and then got on a bus. This bus drove around San Diego while a band played in the back of it, about 100 people crammed inside, byob and ..is that marijuana I smell?, trying not to fall over. This bus runs on vegetable oil and is lined on the inside with real grass that gets watered by an in-bus sprinkler system. Complete insanity. And this concert on the bus was free! I hate on San Diego a lot, but there's some interesting stuff to do around here for the brave and hippie. I leave 6/14 for Tokyo and hope to post often. My grad student friends are telling me to start a blog about my travels. I don't know if this is a good idea but if I do, I will surely link you.

No comments:

Post a Comment