Thursday 3 June 2010

Weekend fun!

Hello!

I am always missing everyone. I can't count how many times I've retold Megan's story about how you can orgasm during birth. And how often I've seen pajama pants and thought of Rose. Bought organic, local produce and thought about Carmella and our hippy commune. Anyway! I've been having a lovely time in Austin, although feeling strangely restless and tired at the same time.

This weekend I went to the Kerrville Folk Festival which is as hippy as Texas gets. Miles of tents with song circles at each cluster of tents all throughout the night. I was walking around and recognized this autoharp with a flower carved into it. It belonged to one of the best autoharpists in the world and turns out he was there! I plopped down next to him and started talking to him. He played a few songs for me which made me tear up multiple times. His wife joined him and they harmonized so beautifully! He told me to bring over my harp and I played for him, feeling clumsy and silly. Anyway, it was incredibly being so near genius and hanging out with him and his crew. I absorbed a lot and it was so much fun hanging out with the old guard of folk music. I also had a great time running around to the different camps listening to various styles of folk and learning some classics.

We left the next day to go "float the river" which means getting an inner tube and having someone drop you off 3 miles up the river and floating down with cases of beer and frat boys. That's what I love about Texas is that you can have such diverse experiences one day after the other. Anyway, it was exhausting and I love getting back to my silly art projects (which I'll post as I complete) and practicing my autoharp and watching Jon Stewart.

No comments:

Post a Comment