Monday 18 October 2010

This morning in Holyoke

Walking one block down the street to get myself a bagel. Three guys loading some equipment onto the sidewalk.

First guy: Hey, beautiful.
Second guy: You sure are beautiful.

This rubs me the wrong way. Always does. But on this walk in particular I had already been thinking about street harassment. I was going over this blog post in my head, which had resonated. It makes sense: of course I was thinking about my vulnerability when walking down the street as I was walking down the street. The threat of it is always there, so I'm always aware of it.

So I turn around and, levelly, politely, coolly say: You know, it's really annoying that every time I walk outside I have to worry about getting comments like that.

First guy's response: Well then don't be so beautiful.
Second guy: Yeah, don't be so beautiful.

Come onnnnnn. You have got to be kidding. (Which is what I say to them: Come on.)

I get my bagel and on the way out, guy number one is still there. Guess what he says as I walk past?

"Hey Ugly! Is that better?"

Me: Why do you have to say anything at all?
Him: I'm just trying to make conversation. It's not like I'm trying to hit on you or anything.
Hmm...Okay. So I say: Well then just say hello. Hi.
And he says hi. And I keep walking.

Now all of you are smart, attractive, young women (with the exception of Julian who, of course, is all of those things without the "women" part). I know you deal with these situations too. What do you do?

And, Becky, so you know: These guys were hot. They were young and attractive and under different circumstances I would have wanted to talk to them, even flirt with them. But no, I still wasn't flattered, impressed or pleased. Just irritated. Just wanted to get my bagel and go.

No comments:

Post a Comment