Thursday 26 August 2010

Delinquent

Hi All,

Forgive my WEEKS and WEEKS of not posting. I just read all that I missed and I am so thrilled to know what you're all doing... What I've been up to:

1. Some of you know, but I was in the Bay Area in California for a weekend in mid-June for my hippy quaker school preschool, elementary school, middle school reunion! It wasn't official, but we decided we wanted one, so we went camping at Memorial Park (where we went every year at Peninsula School) and had a lovely weekend of sitting around the fire, talking about the last 10 years, going on walks, playing in the creek, etc. We then ate fish tacos at Pescadero (beach with beautiful cliffs and dramatic fog) after checking out of our campsite.

2. I finished my first year of nursing school in late July! I loved my last rotation, Community Health -- found it really rewarding to see patients in their homes. I liked how it flipped, well flipped is too strong, disrupted the typical power dynamics inherent to much of medicine. We were invited into patient's homes to provide care -- working with the specifities of THEIR turn and THEIR lifestyles to appropriately treat patients etc. Fun fun.

3. I moved to a new apartment and I love it! Closer to some of my favorite places in New Haven, I am all by myself in the one bedroom, I have a little backyard... and free internet! Yale School of Art is near.

4. Spend NINE fabulous days in Holland with Milo, Malu, Dick, Janice and Oma (grandma) at Oma's house. TONS of biking (upon leaving Holland I swore I would move there) -- including two separate 5 hour long bike rides led by Oma -- she's amazing, approaching 80, but full of spunk, history and an incredible knowledge of her region of Holland. Ate tons of Dutch cheese and fries... walked around, smoked weed... Milo informed his parents ahead of time, dad was WAY excited, pointed out a coffeeshop in Amsterdam, yelled down the stairs "don't forget the papers!", we were planning on a pipe -- neither one of us can roll, Dick responded, "I'll roll them for you!" Which he did, and he taught me how. Milo and I both fail as youth. On the last day biked to Utrecht (lovely student city) and back from Oma's house -- thirty miles in all! ...

5. I GOT A PUPPY!!! I've been thinking about it for a while, and I've had him since Monday! He's 12 week old toy poodle, currently 3.3 lbs, will be 7 or 8, and I took him for his first vet visit yesterday. He's still getting used to things... but we are getting along well! I kind of feel like a proud parent... I've been talking about him to people too much... but, I will bring him to the cabin in September. (Rach, I'll call you. Do we think he's allowed???). He doesn't have a name yet -- in the running right now: Truffle (Truff), Buffalo (Buff, Boo), Theodore (Theo, Teddy)... Any thoughts, suggestions?


6. I start school next week! I have finally decided that I AM looking forward to it. Sort of. I don't know. A small piece of me is dreading it a little bit -- I hear this semester's a killer. But whatever, it's what I want, and so much of it is womany!

Love you all,
Megan

5 comments:

  1. THEODORE AKA THEO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. (My mom votes for Teddy.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my god I want a poodle/poodle mix of some kind. Don't ever let me near that dog, because I'll just steal it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i second truffle although it's so cute it doesn't even matter.

    ReplyDelete