Thursday 8 April 2010

Romantic Dinner Alone

Hi Friends,

Now THIS is unheard of -- ME posting just two days apart? Well, what I'm about to blurt out felt like the perfect and kinda cliche WHATEVER thing to put into a blog, but I was thinking about it just now but had NO ONE to tell! So I tell the blog, and all of you.

I just had my first ever romantic dinner all by myself. I've been finding lately that when I eat dinner alone, I make a somewhat nutritionally balanced something (protein + carb + veg or fruit) that's kind of lame (I lack inspiration when I'm alone) and hoover it unceremoniously while checking my email or looking at pictures of all of you on facebook or worrying about my schedule (with google calendar open) in a super Type A and stressful way. LAME! And then suddenly my dinner is gone and I didn't really ever notice that I was eating it. So, in the end, I have gotten whatever nutrients/calories/whatever my body is supposed to get, but shit man, I missed out on the good part! The enjoyment of dinner, of having something delicious and NOTICING (which for me really only happens when I'm eating with at least one other person) that it's damn good, and having dinner be this nice special moment of the day.

ANYWAYS: so tonight I made some chicken stir fry with veggies and brown rice and a salad with clementine and a nice glass of trader joe's malbec. :) I even lit a CANDLE and listened to some of my fav Brazilian and loungey dinner music and had my romantic dinner all by myself and it was awesome. Romantic dinner by myself from now on all the time. Though, it would obviously have been WAY better in Chapman with all of you, but when that's not an option, this is an okay second.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that is a great story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes! a great story indeed, legs. i had a romantic dinner alone once and it was awesome! it was in viva fresh pasta in northampton about a month ago. i sat by the window, looking out. i forced myself not to read the book that was in my bag or get on my phone. i had pasta and a glass of red wine and i felt so peaceful and happy and independent! i promised to do it once a week and then realized that i am broke. i have to do it again though. you've inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this makes me so happy! i am going to a jazz concert alone and my boss was just mocking me today actually...clearly he just doesn't get it! sometimes it's just nice to enjoy a peaceful moment being independent and good enough company all by your lonesome. so thanks for posting that:)

    ReplyDelete