Monday 22 March 2010

sxsw crazy

hi friends!

I've been SXSW-ing all last week. SXSW is a huge music/film/interactive(which means internet) conference and there are a bazillion shows and tons of craziness. Austin isn't actually capable of absorbing all the people who come in, which makes it that much more awesome/terrible. There's also lots of free food so I had set a goal for myself to spend $0 between March 11th - 21st including food, drinking, seeing shows (all three of which I did plenty). I spent $5, so pretty close. I also saw lots of amazing music and met a crazy amount of people including Michel Gondry and a sudanese refugee who was volunteering with me.

Michel Gondry looking French and displeased with silly girls asking for photos with him:


I saw a few Chapman favorites like She & Him and Band of Horses (Carmella always makes fun of me for them b/c they're kind of emo). In fact, I couldn't get into one of the She & Him shows, so my friend and I went to the back of the venue and watched them thru 1.5 inch cracks between a fence, our backs to a dumpster which smelled revolting and I'm still picking out splinters from the fence. It was definitely one of the most insane weeks of my life. I also saw a lot of newer emo music. I saw Local Natives 2.5 times and if you get a chance, please do. Their shows are insanely good. Here's one of their songs:
Local Natives - Airplanes

Here's one of my favorite songs from She & Him's new album:
She & Him - Thieves


Here are all the wristbands I had to wear to get into shit (and these are only the ones I saved)!


Besides SXSW, I've been doing lots of random stuff like:
1) I went to a silent movie play at this artist commune house. It looked like this:


2) I went to this burner thing where people graffitied train cars with environmental messages like this one:


3) Austin had a beautiful kite festival which looked like this (you also get to see a partial of the Austin skyline):


So that's my life, what's your life?!

1 comment:

  1. damn i'd love to know what you spent the five dollars on ! hah!

    ReplyDelete