Wednesday 7 October 2009

the (blog-)post-modern relationship

Dear Ladies and Lad,

As many of you know, I am now officially dating Dan Kamen. And it's wonderful. If awkward sometimes and anxiety-provoking. My impression is that we're really right for each other, really really right, he makes me feel like I can be the best me. And it's been kinda a long time coming. Yay! I think the anxiety is mostly about balancing my feelings for him and school work and also the fact that I haven't had a relationship that's lasted more than six weeks (usually just three weeks) in a while, and this one I'd really like to go on and on.... Seems like that's what he wants too. So hopefully between the two of us, we'll work it out.

Oh, damn, except I was in my Film Noir class at UMass today and the prof wouldn't stop talking about objects of desire and how they're just fantasies, and how we love living in fantasies, but the problem with fantasies is that they're not reality ! And that the deepest loves (in all Western fiction) must end in tragedy because they're based on fantasy and therefore can never be fully realized! OMG! Post-Modernity !!!!!!!! (Guess we'll have to write our book in traditions from the Global South..)

OK, Love, Rach.

1 comment:

  1. fantasy and reality. its almost unamerican to have a good sense of reality, because we deal in fantasy (ads, istuff, unlimited natural resources). and yet i'm not sure if it is bad to be terribly cynical and untrusting either. because the way i see it, i cannot prove anything, nor trust my senses to tell me what reality is. in that way, reality is in my mind. and if my mind is malleable, then reality is malleable, and while i'm not about to bend the spoon, if what was once reality now seems like fantasy to me (a past love, for example) that doesn't make it any less real, or at least, not to an accurate memory.

    ReplyDelete