Saturday 29 August 2009

Get our your VAD!

Hi dears, I just got back from my Pre-Service Orientation in Albuquerque last night and I start work on Monday. PSO was incredibly interesting, throwing 216 Vistas from all over the country serving in the Southwest. Ages ranged from 19-62 and with diversity easily rivaling Amherst. The three days were not unlike orientation, everyone trying to feel each other out, cliqueing, sexiling, etc. I made friends with, not surprisingly, the hipsters, indie kids, and organic farmers. We started giving people epithets. There was Crying Girl who always looked like she was crying, Slayer who refers to sex as slaying (can you believe this?), etc. etc.

I'm so tired after PSO, mainly from non-PSO related things. Alyssa, my new Austin friend, and I made friends with Albuquerque Vistas so we got to visit organic farms around Albuquerque and hot springs in the Jimemez Mountains (pronounced Haymen although I obviously called them the Hymen Mtns). I even got to see Bill (who's going to start posting for Jess)! Although the training itself was boring, there were a few highlights. All the vistas received Volunteer Assignment Descriptions, aka VADs, which obviously sounds like a lady's lady bits. Choice quotes from this week, "Get to know your VAD. Feel free to make changes and notes on it", "Discuss your VAD with your supervisor frequently", and inexplicably hilarious "your VAD is not set in stone."

This song (my favorite of the trip) feels like driving to the Jimenez Mountains
Great Lake Swimmers - Your Rocky Spine

No comments:

Post a Comment