Thursday 23 July 2009

laguna, lisboa

Hellooo!

It's so nice to read all of your blogs. I'm such a bad blogger, but I love reading about you guy/ladies! Destry--I'll try to track down that book. I've been reading whole books, and parts of books, and book-backs and it's so nice just to pick and choose and read 5 things at the same time.

so, updates on life:


  • I have a knee injury, which is now turning into something having to do with my sacrum...it makes me think of you, Megan! The good part is that I get to go to this great physical therapy place, where they fix my whole body twice a week. A lot of fixing. Hopefully, I'll be able to run and dance again by the end of the summer...

  • I've been going to the beach a lot. Beautiful California beaches! See the pics. It's also been absurdly hot, 95-105 every day. So Sophie and Ariel and I spend a lot of time lying around and moaning about the heat...see the pics.

  • My Portugal plans are getting more and more solid, it's so exciting. I've been looking around for apartments online, and I think I'll be able to find a good fit, with other Portuguese or Erasmus students. Martin Aguilera will also be there on his Fulbright--which (Destry, Jules)--just seems kind of funny: I'll be starting off after college with someone who was one of my first (Waldorf) friends in college. Life goes in funny circles sometimes. Also, it turns out I know the director of a theater company there, so that's one more friend in Lisbon, plus hopefully I'll be able to meet people in that community.

  • I've also been doing some English teaching at a local Day Laborer's Center, which has been really fun. The guys there have such tough stories: wandering through the desert, getting left for days in little "ranchitos"...it's a pretty humbling experience to talk to them. It's also interesting to realize that many of them have lived in the US for years and have gotten by perfectly well without speaking any English. I had always sort of known that there's this whole Spanish-speaking world in California, but I never really knew how to find it. So now, I've started to explore Pomona, the city where the Center is, and it's so fascinating. It's full of botanicas (the stores for santeria), cheap restaurants with the best Mexican food, carnicerias, pastelerias, and the like. Really, no need to travel to Mexico if you live in LA!

Other than that, I don't have much to report on. Has anyone started to plan our reunion yet? Selena? ; )

Big hugs,

Hannah


PS: Megan and Rose, I keep forgetting to ask you two! Can either of you somehow get me a copy of Rose's thesis? I realized when I got home that in the stress of the last two weeks, I didn't burn it. So stupid of me. Maybe you can post it somewhere and I can download it? Let me know! Sorry to be so dumb...


silly from the heat...

cavewomen...

at Laguna




No comments:

Post a Comment