Friday 25 September 2009

tips on living in poverty: recognize household herbs

Everyday on my way to work, I walk by this random patch of rosemary in the middle of downtown, on the busiest street, in front of this mammoth bank. I have no idea what it's doing there, but it taunts me with its rosemary smell and succulent little waxy leaves. So, yesterday I was cooking dinner for a few friends and I wanted to make roasted vegetables, and obviously rosemary is a key ingredient that works best fresh. Ever since we made those kebabs and roasted veggies at Megan's house, I've needed my fix of fresh herbs (and now know what they look like in plant form). So obviously, I brought a little plastic baggie to work and obviously, I ripped out a few branches of rosemary after work. Obviously, there were people everywhere along the street giving the weird girl looks for ripping apart a seemingly innocuous plant and stuffing it in a little plastic baggie. I actually had to reach over this homeless guy sleeping in front of the plant. The vegetables turned out great!

Now I'm looking for basil and thyme on my way home from the bus in the more suburby neighborhoods.

1 comment:

  1. good girl! i love it! urban gardening (or scavenging) at it's finest. it's sort of like the organic carmella version of dumpster diving, but selena style!! keep up the good work! hehe

    ReplyDelete