Saturday 13 June 2009

who loves the sun?

forgot to post the beautiful picture of my red bean brownies (which I still have a few of in the fridge....have they gone bad by now? hmmm)
anyhow, here it is:

in other news, carmella just called me from JFK, on her way to sail the world with her dad from pisa to athens. i'm steaming with jealousy, especially since my weekend plans only include an asian side of the extended family schmooze fest in santa monica. i don't really know any of these people, nor do i really speak chinese, nor do i really have this strong sense of family that makes me want to get to know or be known by this family i apparently have, all of whom look same. also, santa monica is a long, gas-wasting drive. and i'm lazy.

however, despite my slothful handicaps, i've been getting into some lovely walks lately, around my sea foamy town, with happy waves crashing into rocks, baby seals burrowing into the sand, irrigated parks sucking water from the colorado basin. i used to really hate san diego, and i'm still wary of spending my time here, but i have found new ways to appreciate the place, by looking through tourist's eyes, and exploring the city's natural and artificial wonders more actively. i always have a more interesting experience when i dig for treasures in the desert than when i sit around and passively receive...which generally means watching tv and eating popcorn with cheese powder. i have carmy to thank for this new enthusiasm.

it is also interesting to note, that as soon as carmella left, our overcast 65 degrees and cloudy problem came back. hm. who brings the sunshine? because it isn't me.

2 comments: